I am so excited today to write about my most recent DIY and possibly one of my most impressive ones. I had a lot of doubt behind this project especially since there were mixed reviews online. Even with this doubt, a few nights ago I got bored and decided to try it out. Seriously, at like 10 at night which will explain the less than amazing original photos.
Anyways, the DIY is for all natural coffee wood stain. I started by making a coffee, water and vinegar mixture. I used :
2 cups hot water
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 cup ground coffee
I let this sit for about 20 minutes. Although this is what I originally did, I ended up adding an additional layer of “stain” later on by simply making a cup of coffee and then mixing it with the left over coffee grounds. So, I guess you could do that as well for your original mixture.
Once the mixture set, I used a large painting brush and wash cloth to apply the mixture to the wood. I noticed that on many DIYs a lot of people just used the liquid but I decided to place the ground on the wood as well so that the wood would get darker since I wanted the darkest result possible.
After I put the first layer on, I let it sit for about 30 minutes. Then, I applied one last layer of the stain and let this set over night. The next morning, I took the board outside to brush off the coffee grounds and chipped part of the board where there was a knot… so, I decided to put one last layer on the board to help cover up my accident. Once this layer was dry, which didn’t take long because it was thin and outside in the sun, I brushed off any of the excess coffee grounds and let it dry some more. It took probably a total of 1-2 hours in direct sunlight. Once it was completely dry, I wanted to put some kind of finish over it so it didn’t scratch or fade too quickly seeing I will be using the board as a photography backdrop.
Seeing that I did a natural satin, I wanted to stay with natural items for the finish. I had read about coconut oil as a polish or olive oil. I decided to go with an olive oil mixture. I ended up using a 1 part olive oil, 1 part white vinegar with a splash of fresh lemon juice for the polish. The end result is above. At first I knew that I had changed the color a little but it wasn’t until I put an original board next to the new board that I realized how well it worked out!
I am so impressed and excited about this project. It turned out just like I wanted it to and on the first try! I definitely plan on playing around with natural wood stain ideas a little more in the future!